Wednesday, January 7, 2009


Birkin Blog Says | Is a Birkin bag Worth it?

Before I became a Birkinoholic, I was a VIC (Very Important Customer) at LOUIS VUITTON. I was regularly invited to "choose" the limited bags months before they were offered to the public. A few years ago, I realized that those limited bags were not worth the money and started to "invest" in Birkin bags.

Besides being "Wowed" on the streets, making store clerks "friendly", or shortening the waiting time in restaurants by carrying a Birkin bag, I wanted to talk about the real reason- the cost. Yes, it is true that a Birkin bag costs more than $6,000.00US and a LV limited edition bag costs 2/3 or half. However, a limited LV bag won't look good after 1-2 years. A Birkin bag will still look good after 10 years. (I still carry my first Birkin that I purchased more than 10 years ago.  Just last week someone commented on it, but I am embarrassed to carry my LV Theda bag.)

Let's say I carry each bag 100 times/year. I pay $8,000.00 for a Birkin and $4,000 for a LV limited bag.

LV: $4,000/200 times in 2 years= $20.00 each time
Birkin: $8,000/100 times in 10 years= $8.00 each time

This assumes that both bags have zero value after 2 and 10 years. Not to mention that a 10 years old Birkin bag has much more value than a 2 year old LV limited edition bag.

THERE IS NO DISCUSSION, LADIES! When was the last time you saw people carrying the Murakami Cherry bags?

4 comments:

  1. Interesting! I'm not lucky eoungh to get a birkin yet, however, I'm lucky enough that I didn't buy any Murakami series...:P

    ReplyDelete
  2. This article really helps.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I like the way you view it this way. It is such an expensive bag. However, if you can carry it for a long time and can even pass on to your daughter, it is worth spending money on it.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Very well put and I totally agree. I have about 10 Louie bags that I don't even use any more. If I were to sell them all off Im sure I could purchase another Birkin beauty.

    ReplyDelete