Sunday, July 12, 2009

Questions and Comments

Dear Birkin Blog,
 
I left a comment today on your blog as a new reader S (real name removed due to the reader's request).  I am about to pick up my very first Birkin next week and have been trying to figure out what to wear when I pick it up as it will be one of the greatest memories of my life and I will be carrying it out of the store, on my arm.  My boyfriend is even going to take photos of me as I walk out of the store!
 
My new bag is.....35 Gold Togo with Palladium hardware.
 
Yes I am obsessed, but who can blame me, I've waited FIVE years for this bag.  I've been on the waiting list in London, New York AND Singapore.  I've even collected over 40 Twilly scarves in the hopes that someday I would have THE BAG to show them off.
 
Here are my thoughts so far:
 
1)  Casual chic - Orange Ann Taylor dress, sleeveless & form fitting just below the knee (the color of Hermes orange), gold leather peep toe heels (same color as bag) with my new bag and my new orange/gold twilly scarf tied around the bag.
 
2)  Casual choice - Jeans, heels & a starched white button down Hermes shirt, gold (same color as bag) leather peep toe heels with my new orange/gold twilly scarf tied around the bag.
 
3)  Over the top (we are going to dinner after wards to celebrate) - Black silk dress, black silk Manolo peep toe heels with my new orange/gold twilly scarf tied around the bag.
 
The gold Birkin goes with everything, but I really want IT to be the focus of the outfit/day.  Perhaps you could put out a poll and see what everyone thinks?
 
I will be sure and send you a picture of the "event" with the winning outfit.
 
I pick up the bag next Thursday,
 
Sincerely
 
S


Dear S,
 
How exciting!  I am so pleased for you!  You are getting your first Birkin bag! 
 
I thought about your email and I have a great idea - much better than just a voting poll.  I hope you like the idea too.  I would like to post your email as an article on the blog and then ask my readers to respond to your questions.  That way you will get lots of different ideas from different readers.  

I'm thinking that this is a great way for all my readers to share in your excitement but also to provide their thoughts and ideas for the big day! 
 
Are you OK if I do this?  I won't post your email message until you give me your permission.
 
Let me know as soon as you can so I can post it right away...........and, again, congratulations! on your new bag!  It's so exciting!!!
 
My Birkin Blog 

Please help our reader S by leaving comments. If you have any questions or comments about this blog, please email to: birkinblog@gmail.com

8 comments:

  1. I think you need to consider the time of day that you go. If you go in the morning then the jeans and white blouse are better. In the afternoon, business wear might be better. I don't think I'd make too big a show of it. You don't want the staff to think you are 'over the top'. I guess the bottom line for me is......what do you want the staff to think about you when you go into get the bag? Do you want them to think you are really excited or do you want them to see you as more cool and sophisticated? Think about what you want them to think and then dress accordingly.

    Enjoy your new bag. It's a fantastic bag and you'll always feel special when you carrying it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. #3. It is your day. Enjoy....

    ReplyDelete
  3. Have you thought about just being spontaneous on the day? Rather than planning ahead might it be more fun for you just to go with whatever you're feeling and dress that way?

    Just a thought....

    Sue

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love all the comments. The most important is how you want this day to be like? Congregations again for your purchase. I am glad you sent your story to us.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hello S, I am happy for you and I remembered my first Birkin about 8 years ago, a tan 35 and I slept with a smile on my face. After that, I have been collecting different one and for the last 2 years, I am into exoctic and that is still bringing smile to me.
    As for what kind of dressing, everything you mentioned is great except evening dress. Sorry, Birkin leather is for day or casual. Not so great for evening. Anyway, it is your bag, do what you please you.
    Jaime

    ReplyDelete
  6. i this the jeans and the shirt u dont want to look ott just for a bag... even if it's a Birkin..

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thanks everyone!

    What great ideas. I've literally piled about 15 outfits on my bed in an attempt to decide on one.

    I think I'm going to wait and see how I feel when I wake up on Thursday, but I am leaning towards jeans, a white shirt, my "H" belt and heels.

    My sales person has already called to say how happy and excited she is for my first Birkin purchase. It was really a nice touch especially since Hermes has been known to be snotty and not so friendly. She really made me feel special.

    Countdown less than 48 hours!!!!

    Shawn

    ReplyDelete
  8. Shawn,
    Your excitement is infectious! I just read your comment above and it put a smile on my face. I hope you enjoy the bag - and a couple more??? - for many years......and in good health.
    Enjoy,
    J.

    ReplyDelete